Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen 1

Last Thanksgiving, I made a Salt Rub and Butter Turkey. If you're searching for a simple recipe that yields the most flavorful results, I highly recommend it. Actually, I don't know if using any old turkey recipe will give you the same result. So make my turkey recipe and then make this! :)

Notice how the pork looks fall-apart tender? I finally tried my hand at making Buta No Kakuni (Japanese braised pork) and it was marvelous with the ramen.

Much thanks to Ila of I Nom Things for answering my question of whether I can call this shichimenchou ramen. Yay!

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen

You'll need:
Carcass of salt rub and butter turkey

For serving, you'll need:
Buta no kakuni (Japanese braised pork) or Char Siu (Chinese Barbecued Pork)
Fresh ramen noodles, boiled and drained
Scallions, for garnish
Nori seaweed, for garnish
Omelet, for garnish

Since the salt rub and butter turkey had so much flavor, there's no need to add any additional salt. Fill a large stock pot with water and add the turkey bones when it boils. Keep the heat at medium-high and boil the bones for at least 2 hours. If the broth is too salty, add more water to dilute.

This time I found fresh ramen noodles that were yellow.

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen 2

Looks more like real ramen huh?

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen 3

When the turkey ramen broth is ready, serve with fresh noodles, sliced pork, sliced omelet, and garnish with scallions and nori seaweed.

Shichimenchou (Japanese Turkey Bone) Ramen 4

Enjoy!

I'm submitting this recipe to Regional Recipes, a food blogging event created by Darlene of Blazing Hot Wok, in which a different culture and cuisine is explored each month. Please read the Regional Recipe rules to see if you'd like to participate. I'm this month's host and we're spotlighting Japan. If you've got a Japanese recipe, please send your entry to wanderingchopsticks (at) gmail (dot) com by November 15.

My Japanese or Japanese-inspired recipes:
Buta No Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork)
Chicken Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
Chocolate Mochi with Nutella Filling
Fried Rice with Bacon, Corn, Eggs, and Green Onions
Fried Rice with Pork, Corn, and a Ladle of Ramen Broth
"Fruit-shi" ie. Dessert Sushi
Kinpira (Japanese Sauteed Gobo Root (Burdock) and Carrot Matchsticks)
Misoyaki Salmon
Okonomiyaki (Japanese "As You Like It" Savory Pancake/Pizza)
Roasted Gobo Root (Burdock)
Shio (Japanese Salt) Ramen
Tiramisu with Matcha Green Tea
Yaki Udon (Japanese Stir-Fried Udon Noodles)

*****
1 year ago today, Messob Ethiopian Restaurant - Los Angeles (Little Ethiopia).

10 comments:

  1. I'm starving right now and this is making me so hungry. I want to participate in the blogging event, but would a past post count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ramen looks to die for and perfect for the leftover turkey carcass.

    BTW, I read your post about your salt-rubbed turkey. I was thinking of trying that this year instead of the brining. It seems so much easier. I felt particularly vindicated when you said no basting required. I never ever baste my turkeys, even if I don't brine. Why open and close the door every half hour?! My turkeys always turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunches,
    Haha. Thanks.

    SIS,
    Yup. Yay! Thanks for participating.

    Darlene,
    You should try the salt rub method. It's sooooo much easier and less stressful than any other method I've made. And the kicker is that it's more flavorful than any other method too. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm curious to see how your buta no kakuni turned out. It was one of the dishes that we wanted to try from the cookbook we had, but vetoed it since we just had pork belly last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. My wife and I were wondering what to do with leftover turkey and this will be the perfect option.
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love japanese ramen cos of its deliciously chewy quality...i hateeee mushy noodles

    ReplyDelete
  7. JS,
    I used a shoulder portion with skin on and it was still very tender. I actually prefer using that cut for most recipes that specify pork belly. Just less fatty.

    Yiata,
    Ah, I would think your wife has plenty of Japanese recipes for you to try! ;)

    MCR,
    I prefer chewy noodles myself. Hey! You can even do this with your pressure cooker. That's two more recipes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK--this is a very late question, but where'd you get the fresh ramen? I can only find fresh ramen in packets w/ the soup base and am starting to seriously think about making my own (saw an episode of Dotchi where the lady burned up logs, then put the ashes in water, let it sit overnight and got a very highly alkaline liquid, which she then used to make chewy, yellow ramen).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meowmi,
    I got it at Asia Supermarket in Alhambra. It's really good and I haven't seen it at any other supermarket so I'm not sure where they distribute. They're based in Commerce though so they're local. I guess you could always call the number on the package and ask?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!