Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pollo alla Parmigiana (Italian Chicken Parmesan)

So as I said earlier, lil' sis says she eats my eggplant parmesan because she imagines it's something else.
Day 9 Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan is such a quick and easy meal, and if you split one chicken breast fillet into quarters (in half and butterflied), you can stretch out your meal even further. So when lil' sis was debating about whether to get seconds, I said a second helping still only meant she ate half of one chicken breast. It's an easy way to deceive the eye while eating less. ;) But actually, the butterflied fillet also meant the chicken cooks faster. Pollo alla Parmigiana (Italian Chicken Parmesan) For two servings, you'll need: 1 chicken breast fillet, butterflied 1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tblsp all-purpose flour 2 tblsp grated parmesan 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp parsley 1 egg 1/4 cup milk I find frozen chicken breast fillets easier to butterfly. Defrost for a minute or two in the microwave until it's no longer frozen but still firm, then carefully sliced in half horizontally. You can also cut the chicken breast in half vertically first, and then butterfly for smaller portions. I make my own seasoned croutons (Yes, I do!) so I just quickly pulsed them in the food processor. But if you don't, then in a bowl, mix 1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs (depending on how much breading you want), 2 tblsp all-purpose flour, 2 tblsp grated parmesan, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp parsley. Set aside. In another bowl, beat 1 egg with 1/4 cup milk. Take the butterflied chicken breast fillets and dip them into the egg/milk mixture, then the bread crumb mixture, the egg/milk mixture again, and the bread crumb mixture again. Pan-fry on medium to medium-high heat until golden and crispy. Place the chicken parmesan on an oven-safe plate, top with a dollop of cottage cheese in place of the mozzarella, a bit of tomato sauce, and a few shakes of parmesan cheese. Place in oven with broiler setting on medium for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with a side of spaghetti or whatever pasta you wish. Enjoy! Who made my recipe for chicken parmesan? Alexis the Tiny said, "I skipped out on using the garlic powder, parsley and milk. It all turned out nicely and I served it up with spaghetti and tomato sauce."

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to bookmark this recipe so I can try making it one day. But you'll have to explain to me what it means to butterfly because I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tania,
    To butterfly means to slice a meat in half horizontally so it forms a "butterfly" shape. Makes for a thinner filet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!