Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Pesto with Arugula and Walnuts



While I usually make pesto with basil, I just couldn't resist buying a batch of fresh young arugula leaves from the Farmers' Market - Alhambra, especially since my favorite farmer tossed in an extra bunch for free.

This is a quick and easy recipe, but one of lil' sis's favorites. It also freezes well.


Pesto with Arugula and Walnuts

You'll need:
A bunch of arugula leaves
Parmesan or romano cheese
A few cloves of garlic
Walnuts, or pine nuts if you wish to splurge
Olive oil

I don't have portions because it depends on how many leaves you have and your tastebuds. Just toss everything into a food processor and puree until fine. Adjust ingredients until the pesto is to your taste.

OK, OK, if you really need estimates, I'd say 2 cups of loosely packed leaves, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil. Start with those proportions and slowly add a little bit of parmesan if it needs to be saltier, a few walnuts if it's not nutty enough, and drizzle a bit of olive oil until it's the consistency you like. I usually just pour the olive oil into the spout of the food processor while it's churning.

I'll post some recipes later on.

2 comments:

  1. Pesto dishes are like a poorman/lazy student gourmet meal. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie,
    Not that poor! Walnuts are expensive! And pine nuts are even more expensive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!