Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Cobb Salad



Cobb salad after tossing.

As with so many other recipes, the Cobb salad was invented in 1937 at the Brown Derby in Los Angeles. The owner, Robert H. Cobb, scrounged around his fridge to make a late night snack for Sid Grauman, of the famed Grauman's Chinese Theater. He chopped everything up because Grauman had a toothache. The salad was an instant hit with Grauman and it spread throughout Hollywood.

Since I had all these lovely tomatoes and had already made sinh to ca chua (Vietnamese tomato shake), bruschetta, borscht, and in plain salads with balsamic vinaigrette, I knew I wanted to make something really colorful.

The Cobb salad's many ingredients made me want to display them in such a way to show off all its colors. You can clearly see the hard-boiled eggs, avocados, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, chicken, blue cheese, and bacon. Drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette I made the other day, and toss.

You'll need:
balsamic vinaigrette (Or substitute with ranch or blue cheese dressing if you prefer.)
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped
1 large chicken breast, grilled or pan-fried (I pan-fried mine with balsamic vinegar for added flavor.)
1/4 cup blue cheese
3 strips bacon, crumbled (I prefer to slice the bacon before frying.)

Chop. Chop. Chop. Lay out on prettily on a plate. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over and toss. (Incidentally, I had already made my balsamic vinaigrette, but when I searched for a little bit about the history of the Cobb salad, I realized my dressing recipe was almost the same as the original.)

There are so many flavors in this salad that I never get bored munching on crisp lettuce, creamy avocado and blue cheese, salty bacon, juicy tomatoes. Mmm.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshingly tasty !

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you buy such gorgeous tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I had cobb salad, I was in high school and I remember being completely impressed. That is so interesting about the history! And everything totally goes together. I am definitely having this next time I get a toothache!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigerfish,
    This is one of my favorite salads. :)

    Welcome Noodlegirl!
    I bought them at Vons when they were on sale for $1.50/lb. It's the tomatoes-on-the-vines that are always so lovely.

    Passionate Eater,
    No need to wait for a toothache to enjoy good food. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful presentation of the cobb salad! So much nicer than being all mixed together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!